Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Special Worms for Worm Compost?

Posted by admin on October 23, 2008

From all my research on worm compost, it seems that the Red Wigglers are the best worms for the job.  But, what about other types of worms?  Do you have to purchase Red Wigglers?  Can you simply use what you have in your soil, naturally?

I went to Yahoo Answers and found that I’m not the only one with these questions.

I want to set up a small worm compost to show the kids how it works and they want to have ‘pet worms’. Looking at a few various sites, they all say to use red wiggler worms. Will it work if we just use worms that the kids find in the garden? Do you really need a special type of worm?

I was a little surprised, yet quite pleased with some of the answers to those questions.  Read them in the comments to this blog post.

Technorati Tags: ,

Comments

5 Responses to “Special Worms for Worm Compost?”
  1. The Muse says:

I have plain old earthworms and they eat/digest the compost. Their castings (poop) add to the compost and accelerate the decomposition.

The Muse
    References :

2. IOFIF says:

any worms except tapeworms i would say
    References :

3. teddybear says:

It is not necessary to have special worms although red wigglers are the best.
    References :

4. Amy R says:

The red wigglers work the best for commercial operations or if you are really wanting the composting to work fast. You can use other worms and you can draw worms into a compst heap by placing the leafy stems from Oregano plants onto any compost heap – it makes them come up into the heap and go crazy! LOL
    Seriously, it is like a horror show! Scared the daylights out of me the first time I put oregano stems on the heap and came back two days later to add some more material – I moved the oregano stems and underneath there was this solid sheet of writhing worms! I am not sure what compound it gives them but it made them pretty wild for a big pile of worms!
    Or you can just collect them after a rain when they are out on the sidewalks trying to not drown.
    References :

5. Carl says:

I'm sure the worms the kids find in the garden will work fine. Send them outside and dig!
    References :

Leave a comment, and if you'd like your own picture to show up next to your comments, go get a gravatar!

home | top

Switch to our mobile site